Monday, August 17, 2015

Kindergarten Diaries

"Mommy we dont shower in Kindergarten" was the first update I ever got about Tootsie's Kindergarten life. You would wonder why my kid thought that was an important bit of information to divulge to parents? Well.. We got a long voluntary supply list for Kindergarten. Every year for Cheeky that meant going to the store and buying a ton of stuff. But it was always a long drawn exercise, looking at folder colors, arguing about what characters needed to be on said folders.

This year everything was ordered online and packed and put away without much room for arguments. But there was one thing Tootsie was allowed to pick. A bath towel for Kindergarten! She was very surprised and amused at this request. Hence the important update. The bath towel is for rest time after lunch. After all the work that these munchkins do, they need to rest and watch tv at school!

A lot of my friends have been asking me "How was kindergarten? How is she holding up?". My response has been "Perhaps you should ask the teacher this?". Because so far it looks like Kindergarten has been the hardest on the teacher! Tootsie settled down in Kindergarten a few seconds after entering the classroom. Since then she has kept the teacher busy.

I decided to pick her up on her first week of school. And Tootsie thinks its completely unnecessary for me to indulge in all this drama! She has actually rolled her eyes at me and asked me when Ms. G will be picking her up. She will be going to after school care with Ms. G and Tootsie adores her! I must add, Tootsie has also offered to just walk home by herself in the mean time. Whats with my children??

On the second day of school, Tootsie came up to me and said "We need to bring the folder and school supplies!" I was shocked. Just the previous day I had turned in 2 large bags packed with school supplies. In fact I had turned in more than what was requested as in a number of cases I got big economy packs! And now they needed more? I decided to ask the teacher. She says "You know I think she wants to take the school supplies home."
Me "What? Why?"
Ms. D "I tried to explain that school supplies stay at school. After listening, she asks 'but can I take my folder home?' Could you please explain to her that they stay in the classroom?"
Me "Hmm. Tootsie what do you want to take home?"
Tootsie walks me to her cubby, shows me a pink folder thats in there and says "When can I take that home?"
Me "It stays at school, you will use it here"
"But mom its mine. I want to take it home!"
Sigh.. this kindergarten thing is challenging!

Next Tootsie walks over to her teacher "When are you giving us IPads?" she asks
Ms. D "Can you explain to her that we dont have funding for IPads"
Me "I think she is asking that because of the headphones she brought in. Besides they had IPads at her private pre-school!!!!"
Ms. D "Oh maybe we will get Chrome books later in the year"

After that I decided Ms. D definitely needed to call it a day and took Tootsie home. Earlier that week, Tootsie had asked me when she could have her own phone (like brother) "so I can use headphones". After some more convincing, I thought we had put the tale of school supplies and IPads to rest.

Next morning as we walked to school Tootsie asks "Mom do you think they will give us laptops today? I am going to ask Ms. D"

"Tootsie!!!!!!"

Poor Ms. D. Being a kindergarten teacher can sure be demanding. And to think she has 20 other kids asking her all kinds of questions! I can certainly empathise with her!

About Tootsie.. I can tell this kid will survive Kindergarten well! If her teachers will, remains to be seen! Back to work mom, no more excuses!!

No comments:

My introspections on Women's day

  It is International Women's  Day and a day for us to celebrate women. Every year for me this is a day of introspection, it is a day to...