Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The universal jack!!

The saying goes "Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one" .... in my case it was master of none - period!
I have always been the one to try her hand at anything and everything! What I lack for in perseverence I make up for with my enthusiasm ofcourse!
I tried to sing and dance as a kid. Learnt classical music and dance forms.. for many years... the less said about my singing the better, for my husband does read these blogs and heaven knows he might decide to pen a comment and embarass me further!
Then there was the arts world, drawing, painting, sewing, pottery, I have tried it all... and though I have an eye for art, I discovered I dont have the hand for it!! Well we cant do it all can we?
So was I a geek? heaven's no... I only hit the books when I absolutely had to and only read enough to clear my exams with as decent a percentage as would satisfy my mother...
I was good in the literary world for a while, taking part in every debate, extempore, oratory competion in the city and winning most of it. I later realised that my competitors were probably too busy studying to painstakingly prepare for these literary sojourns! Where as I scoured every newspaper, magazine to ... oh no not to read the news, but to find material for the future debates....
Anyway I realised this sometime in college and decided that it was not worth all the effort, so there went the only thing I ever excelled at...
I forgot to mention my trysts with cooking, good grooming classes, public speaking classes (ofcourse!), karate, the school band, the school choir (hey I was part of the choir for a while!!!), and yeah sports... I was never much of an athlete, I would run in relays where you just run one tiny stretch and then pass on the baton to another member of the team and your work is done...
I tried volley ball, badminton, baseball, and for the heck of it hockey and table tennis both for all of 2 days! For a short while it looked like I had some promise in badminton and then my right hand would swell up after every game, bringing an end to that!!
Once I started working, I found that I had a passion and aptitude for my work - IT like half the world population... but here again I quit in 6 yrs and I dont know if my career will ever take off again...
Now the most dreaded part.. my role as a home - maker (ew, I hate that word) - i stink at cooking, I hate cleaning, I am an impatient mom and well I have never read the book on being a "dutiful" wife...
So there... the perfect example for the jack of all trades... atleast I have a claim to every conceivable thing " been there...done that!!! ..( and we will leave out the failed miserably part"!! :)
Now I am beginning to sound morose... for all this I am a happy go lucky person and I have no regrets whatso-ever... maybe it was just the case of "Too many pies, too little fingers... " - now thats another topic in the making!!

No comments:

My introspections on Women's day

  It is International Women's  Day and a day for us to celebrate women. Every year for me this is a day of introspection, it is a day to...